Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I'm Not Usually Like This

I’m going to be straight with you. Sometimes, I become lame and really want to have a boyfriend NOW. I don’t want to have to wait years to finally have one. I become extremely impatient and the thoughts of “I want a boyfriend” continue to go through my head for as long as I allow them. I become discontent with how my life is because all of my friends who have significant others seem to be having a better life than I. I become so typical teenage girl-ish that it ruins my whole day.

I was having one of these “Teen Days” just a few weeks ago. A few of my girl friends had just gotten nice boyfriends, and I let it linger through my head that I “kind of” wanted a boyfriend. Well, the thought kept going through my head. It went from “kind of”, to “maybe”, to “really”, to “NEEDED”. I got to where I was in a mood where I wouldn’t leave my room and I just didn’t want to see anybody or hear about anything having to do with my friends who were in a relationship. If I saw one “I love you” written from a friend to her boyfriend, I’d scoff, roll my eyes, and become bitterly jealous. I’d become such a pathetic jerk and an extremely selfish person.

As I was wallowing in self-pity and selfishness, I looked up onto my bookshelf and saw the book “I Kissed Dating Goodbye”. I thought, “Okay, maybe this will help a little bit.” I started right where I left off last, and the first thing I read was the title of the chapter, “The Right Thing at the Wrong Time is the Wrong Thing”. PANG! My heart felt like it got smacked. As I read one story, the ending to it said this -
“Too often, people want what they want (or what they think they want, which is usually “happiness” in one form or another) right now. The irony of their impatience is that only by learning to wait, and by a willingness to accept the bad with the good, do we usually attain those things that are truly worthwhile.”

As I continued to read, the chapter was about how any season of singleness is a gift from God. I have put a bookmark in the book on that page, and I now turn to it any time that I start feeling impatient when it comes to relationships.

God really knew how to get to me that day. I love how He reveals things!


1 comment:

  1. Well, I think you should know that I'm EXTREMELY impressed with how you handle all that. I know it can't be easy, and I'm sure it gets annoying to be around couples(myself included). I'm so proud of you though, because you've really stuck with it. I support you 100% in your decision to wait, and I'm here if you need me! Love you, Kirstin!

    ReplyDelete